Tuesday, June 09, 2009

So leaving me behind was your first step

I LOVE the final single version of Frankmusik's "Confusion Girl." It's the perfect balance between Vince's quirkier side and the more mainstream intermediate version of the song we heard, with an end result of a fully charming pop song that's the best version of this track we've heard. The single is out July 12 in the UK.



On the Frankmusik front, a new song, "Dancing In The Dark," is streaming on his MySpace, along with previews of the remix version of Vince's album.

The lead single from Ola's new album is called "Sky's The Limit" and will be premiered via a performance on June 22 and released that same day, I think. It's written by KeiOne, Json, and Ola, which does make me a bit nervous--that could mean it's a step closer towards R&B, while I tend to prefer Ola as a vehicle for the pure pop songs of Tony Nilsson and Bassflow. Still, ideally it could mean Ola releasing something that stirs up more excitement about him (though in terms of chart success pop seems a surer bet than pop-&B in Sweden); plus, he's definitely spent time with Tony and Peter "Bassflow" Boström, so maybe we could get a great mix. I do love Adam Tensta's "80s Baby," KeiOne-produced hip-hop meets pop with just the right combination of hardness and breeziness; I'm just worried about how Ola's voice will match with this sort of music as well as quality overall.

Speaking of Peter Boström, he's just done a remix--or, as it's more accurately being called, a remake--of Mando Diao's "Gloria." I'm not going to put it up there with his best work on, say, Martin Stenmarck's singles, but listen to it 20 minutes into the 10-10:30 block here.

Since the sporadic nature of my recent posts meant I never did a fully rundown on the American Idol finale, I'd like to add that I am happy for Kris, not angry with the result (and hoping I'll end up wanting to buy his album--no one's going to agree with me and it's probably best for his commercial viability that he doesn't, but I'd love him to be singing songs like Ryan Cabrera's best work), but I stand by my earlier comment that I'm "hoping Adam ends up being the best popstar America has" (maybe you could qualify that with "male popstar," given the real lack of competition on that front--I'm not talking just about music, though obviously that's important, but all-out exciting popstarness--but even that caveat is probably unneccesary) "Kiss & Tell," which #1 Hits From Another Planet posted a few months ago, still gets frequent plays from me--I want Adam to make the glam rock which suits him so perfectly and which the U.S. could really use a dose of, but I also want him continuing down an electro-pop route like that of this old demo song, too.

5 comments:

bee said...

Hey, I bet you want to submit some questions for Paradiso Girls... If so, please visit:
http://pop-nation.blogspot.com/2009/06/meet-paradiso-girls-submit-your.html

and send in all your questions now. Would be really appreciate, Thanks! :D

//beE

John said...

I like the song, but I think "Better Off As Two" had the better chance at being a hit, so my guess would be that Frank is done before he's even begun. You never know, though.

As for Adam, I think it's a tough sell. Electro would seem the natural way to go, but is that really what the AI base, who support these folks out of the gates, really want? Hopefully Clive doesn't get his hooks in Adam.

Myfizzypop said...

a) thank goodness Ola is back, though agreed - i would like more poppiness in his music. I am still adjusting to r'n'b Darin, though i like that well enough.

b) THANK GOD YOU ARE BACK!!!!!

that is all.

Mike said...

Welcome back, sweetheart!

Adem With An E said...

Welcome back lovely ;)

As for Frankmusik, is it terrible I'm more interested in knowing when his video co-star, Holly No-Pants-Valance, is going to fuck off this whole "I'm an actress" thing and make another bloody record?