Thursday, December 18, 2008

Still got time for someone

I got in my car yesterday, plugged in my iPod, cued up the Script's album, started the car...and lost my breath for a moment, for what should come pouring out of my car's speakers but "The Man Who Can't Be Moved," being played by an actual Ohio radio station.

Anyhow, we've now entered a season I love for many reasons, one of which is the year end countdown lists that proliferate during this time of year. They're an addiction for me, but the ones below (accompanied by a few artists to try to give you a feel for each list's flavor) are worth your time even if you don't read every single one you see like I do.
  • Europe Crazy counted down her top 50 singles of the year, featuring BWO, Salem al Fakir, Matt Pokora, September, and Jack McManus
  • Adem's just begun his countdown lists; the first is the top 10 videos of the year, featuring Lily Allen, Girls Aloud, the Last Shadow Puppets, and Justice
  • Duane Moody is counting down his 32 favorite albums of the year, featuring Same Difference, Ladyhawke, Rachael Yamagata, and the Weepies
  • XO began his lists with his ultimate favorite songs of the year, featuring Goldfrapp, Sam Sparro, Coldplay, Will Young, Ne-Yo, and the Gadsdens
  • Chart Rigger began with the worst pop singles of the year, including Mariah Carey, Madonna, and Beyoncé
  • Nikki of Pop Reviews Now is counting down her 72 favorite songs of the year, featuring New Kids on the Block, Lemar, Britannia High, Vanessa Amorosi, and Agnes
  • #1 Hits From Another Planet is counting down the best singles and best albums of the year, featuring The Feeling, M.I.A., Walter Meego, Neo, Kylie Minogue, the Guillemots, the Killers, and M83.
  • Rachel of Work Your Magic is counting down her top 50 singles of the year, featuring Giusy Ferreri, Dima Koldun, Annie, and Philipp Poise
There will, luckily, be more to come.

My own countdown of my favorite singles of the year is a work in progress at the moment. I should warn you all that it'll probably be longer than last year, though, and I STILL won't be including all the singles I loved on it. The ranking is ridiculously hard to do and will ultimately probably be pretty arbitrary, but I can't not do it.

9 comments:

Yuяi said...

I gasped with you as I read that the Script was played on Ohio radio! Woo!

Looking forward to your year-end charts. Mine are in progress too. I keep thinking that once "published" they cannot be changed. And I'm still undecided about some! D'oh!

Aaron said...

Haha - I'm a list Addict too!!!

My lists for best Remixes, Songs & album of the year are coming - Somebody really should have warned me how hard they would be before I started!!!!!

LOVING The Man Who Can't Be Moved - So Pretty!

Myfizzypop said...

i love the year end lists. i've been trying to keep up with them on the blog but it's not always possible. i will probably direct people your way today!! anyway, nice to see some scripted love flowing stateside. I'm eager for your lists. I know my top three singles and albums but not much else! It keeps changing. And no new Simon Curtis music? What the fuss is that all about?!

D'luv said...

And now Chart Rigger's "best" list is up!

Looking forward to your own!! Get typin', girl!

Gulherme Camargo said...

Hey, I added you as my affiliate...
Please, add me too :)
http://popmusic-zone.blogspot.com/

Poster Girl said...

Yuri, I'm the same way...though last year I think at the last minute I extended the list a little beyond what I was planning and I still made at least one swapping out decision as I went along.

Aaron, I can't wait to read yours! "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" really is great, though my real favorite from the album is "Breakeven," I think. It's such a perfect singalong song.

Paul, wait, what is this about no new Simon music? Did I miss something?

D'luv, and I love it!

Guilherme, sure!

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Can't wait for your chart and I'm sure it will be amazing. I love reading everyone's year-end lists (and this year is no different).

Thanks for the mention - it was fun doing the chart again this year although very frustrating at times as there were so many potential chart hits in there, but which were totally ignored by record buyers and radio :(

The Script's debut CD is very good indeed, my favourite tracks are "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" (of course) also "Breakeven" and "Before The Worst". This album deserves to be a worldwide hit.

Poster Girl said...

I know what you mean--there have been some songs this year that deserve so much better!

I'm so glad you mentioned "Before The Worst"--it's definitely one of my favorite tracks, probably around second or so.

Adem With An E said...

LOVE all the list madness this time of year, excites me to no end and gives me a glimpse into some bloggers ears you may not have suspected judging by their posts through the year.

My (unexpected!) number 1 song of the year is probably going to surprise EVERYONE. I have not blogged about it once!

Thanks for the link love dearest... xoxox