Friday, December 12, 2008

It's getting harder to read your silence

I can be so clueless sometimes...how did I not notice until now that Danish singer Bryan Rice's radio-pop-rock album track "In Your Room" was co-written by Gareth Gates?



I've had this ongoing amusement (initially on defunct blog You Call That Life) of documenting all the various people who have performed the songs from Bryan Rice's 2006 debut album before and after him--they're the absolute epitome of how songs in the music industry get recycled. The big example was Shayne Ward covering "No Promises," but pretty much all of the other tracks on the album have shown up in incarnations on other albums...except, as I've long been surprised by (given that I like the track), "In Your Room" (well, there may be versions of it out there somewhere, but I've yet to hear them or have forgotten them).

If I'm making guesses, though, it seems likely the song was originally intended for Gareth--correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't very many Gareth co-writes floating around that are sung by someone other than Gareth. Instead, he didn't end up using the song and eventually it was passed on to Bryan.

Anyway, it's written by Gareth, Andreas Carlsson, and Lisa Greene.

4 comments:

John said...

He even sings the song like I'd imagine Gareth singing it. I don't think it's outstanding, but it's not bad at all.

Myfizzypop said...

it would've fitted in nicely with gareth's last album. perhaps he will feel more poppified after singing along to red and yellow and green and brown and scarlet and black and ochre and peach and ruby and olive and violet and fawn and lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve and cream and crimson and silver and rose and azure and lemon and russet and grey and purple and white and pink and orange and red and yellow and green and brown and scarlet and black and ochre and peach and ruby and olive and violet and fawn and lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve and cream and crimson and silver and rose and azure and lemon and russet and grey and purple and white and pink and orange and blue for a few months and return with a blistering new album that will satisfy his songwriting urges and give us something a bit more Skeletons in Your Closet (which is what All Road Leads To Heaven by Same Diff sounds suspiciously like within the chorus).

PS that took ages.

Poster Girl said...

It is a song that I think falls in the "decent" category, John, you're right.

Oh my gosh, Paul, I can't believe you typed (copied and pasted?) all that! Ha ha :D I adore "Skeletons," so that would be very welcome, for sure!

John said...

My head hurts from reading Paul's post.