Thursday, September 11, 2008

You're coming with me, boy, no need to resist

I've decided I've got to dedicate at a minimum two days to the demos from this singer that have hit the Internet--I may end up extending it to more, but there are at least two fantastic songs I have to write about. Given the status of these demos, they'll be posted for a short time only. Side note: I'll add in the proper tags for these posts after I remove the songs.

The tracklisting for the Pussycat Dolls' new album Doll Domination is out and is appears that the songs CB submitted for the album, "Captive" and "Nasty Girl," haven't made the cut (though I guess it's possible that they'll show up as bonus tracks somewhere). I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that, given that we've got the demos Chris did for those songs; on the one hand, there are a few elements of the demos that I would've liked to hear ironed out, but on the other hand, I have trouble imagining I'd love the chorus of "Captive" any more if someone else sang it.

Captive--Chris really is showing signs of maturing into quite the little songwriter, isn't he? Co-writing the divine "Forever," the fantastic "Disturbia," heck, I even enjoyed his Olympic song "Dreamer." Add "Captive" to that list. The chorus of this is great and suits Chris himself, but you can see how the song as a whole has been written for the Pussycat Dolls, even beyond the obvious references to "PCD" and "Pussycat Dolls": that post-chorus flourish (after "the jungle") is a bit of a throwback to the Indian effects we got for "Buttons." Don't let that comparison make you expect a straight-through sexy pop stomper, though. The verses and the bridge--which, with its up-and-down beeps and catchiness, is worthy of its own mention--may go for that more seductive feel, but, lyrics notwithstanding, there's something much more solid, much more...expansive about the chorus; you could strut to it, but, unlike the chorus of "Buttons" (which I'm certainly not criticizing--I love it), it doesn't feel like that's what it was designed for. It's powerful, in a way--a way that a truly great pop chorus is, and with that low-level thrum and fast-paced clicking giving the fantastic mid-tempo melody a deep synth-washed feel, it's the sort of thing that sinks deep into your skin and refuses to leave, and the semi-choral (even if electronically created) chorus only contributes to that. In its best moments, "Captive" is a bit--dare I say, transcendent, or at least as sung here.

There's nowhere to buy this song, but you can support the artist by buying his most recent album, Exclusive: The Forever Edition here (physical) or here (digital).

Next up: another demo, this one being possibly the cutest song I've heard all year.

3 comments:

Yuяi said...

I have to agree with ya, Chris has been maturing lyrically. Of course, I'm hearing "When I Grow Up" after the jungle line (THANKS!)

Anyways, another great one from CB. Thanks for sharing.

Myfizzypop said...

Aah l'il chris! How well he is doing. Once you cut the cruddy songs out of the album, and add a few (like Dreamer and this) it's quite the interesting piece of work. This is who Leona needs to hook up with if she is to have some decent tunes for album 2...

Poster Girl said...

No problem! I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

Paul, I don't own either of his albums--from the clips I've heard, I haven't felt they'd be worth it--but I think you could make a very decent album using all the leaked demos and random tracks he's got floating around! I'm holding out hope for a more solid third album, or at least some great singles from that one too.