Tuesday, October 23, 2007

We're not what we used to be

My original thoughts on the Backstreet Boys album were going to be a lot more harsh, but I've decided to hold off on the final verdict yet--the album needs a few more listens. What I do know for sure, though, is what the best song on the album is, and it's what I'm posting today.

Something That I Already Know--as I said, by far the album's best song. Sort of like "Inconsolable" if it was good (though the way I'm listening to the album, "Something That I Already Know" flows into "Inconsolable," and whether it's because of that or because my standards have been lowered or because it's a grower, "Inconsolable" seems better than I originally thought)--I'd say it's the closest you'll get, style-wise, to their classic hits, though it's more a mix of those and the Never Gone sound than a pure throwback. "Something That I Already Know" is a very good ballad...but (and I could be wrong here) I don't see it holding up against their best stuff. Then again, not much music by anyone is better than Backstreet's best stuff. Or maybe I just need to stop comparing their old work to their new work and get over the fact that they've incorporated more pop-rock elements into their style now. Whatever--this is still a very good song.

To preorder the Backstreet Boys' album Unbreakable, go here (physical) or here (digital). It comes out October 30. If you're looking for something more uptempo, my first recommendation would be the "synthesizer-soaked" "Everything But Mine." On the ballad tip, "Unmistakable" is worthy of note, especially for that fantastic opening--slightly spacey minimal effect, piano and synth enter, then the vocals--"haunting" is a perfect description for it, and the use of the synthesizer (which, if louder and played up more, wouldn't sound out of place on something like, say, Omarion's "Ice Box") in what could otherwise be a typical ballad-with-pop-rock-influences (though that simple series of piano notes automatically sets this song out from the pack) is interesting.

Next up: either that Norwegian Idol group song or that Alejandro Fuentes song.

2 comments:

D'luv said...

Eek. That's what I figured was going to happen with this album... Never Gone was very disappointing, with the exceptions of "Incomplete" and "Just Want You To Know."

I think the Boys are over the pop leanings of their early days, and are now more in the Boyz II Men category of boring balladry. Ugh.

Well, Never Gone managed to sell a million copies two years ago. It'll be interesting to see if the core fan base of the BSBs actually comes out and buys this one.

Poster Girl said...

It's probably obvious what my favorite song on their last album was ;) I agree about Never Gone--it got me in the frame of mind where I only expect one good song from each new album from them, and any more than that is a bonus. "Inconsolable" has completely flopped in the U.S., but you're right, it'll be interesting to see where this album ends up. I expect with their fanbase they'll end up doing better than, say, the Click Five's #134 :(

I guess we have (hopefully) Shayne Ward, at least...