Tuesday, March 06, 2007

And I meant it when I said I'd be yours for a lifetime

It may just be a counterreaction to my themed posts last week, but I've found myself listening to a lot of female-fronted dance-pop the past few days...so, though I'm not sure that it's technically a special, I think that's what the songs will be the next four days.

(Picture credit to Jefferson Blues Mag)

I first heard the following song some months ago when I was listening to the radio (not regular U.S. radio, of course; we don't have any stations that play anything like this around here). I only heard the last minute or so of it and the station didn't tell me the name of the song or the artist; lyrics searches, at the time, proved futile. I can't say I've been actively searching for this song for months, but it was in the back of my mind that I wanted to find it. A few days ago, I tried googling the lyrics again...and, after a few false tries, the right song came up! U.S. iTunes had it, and I was a very happy camper. There are a couple of remixes of it out there, but this is definitely the one I originally heard. As for the song itself, I don't know that much about it. It's from Sweden and is credited as being by Tyken, a two-man duo whose chosen name for themselves is, to quote their bio, "a swedish west coast slang phrase meaning cheeky, nasty or cocky" [sic], though the singer you'll hear is named Awa Manneh, though she seems to be just going by Awa now. According to her biography, she released her debut album in 2002 and it received three Swedish Grammy nominations.

Every Word (Tyken's Jonsered Fabrik Mix) (Radio Edit)--I've never heard the full versions of anything else by Awa, but today's song seems to be a big departure for her--I'd say it's more a Tyken song which she happens to be singing than anything else, but that doesn't mean her voice isn't vitally important to the song's success. In fact, maybe she could consider doing more songs like this; there's something about her voice that helps make this song extra-memorable to me--it's less faceless than it might otherwise be. Basically, it's just fun catchy dance-pop, though it's probably more on the side of dance than pop.

To buy the single for Tyken's single "Every Word," go here (physical) or go to iTunes; for example, if you live in the U.S., go here.

Next up: possibly Belgium (in which case you can probably guess which group will be featured).

No comments: