Thursday, July 15, 2010

There's things that you guess and things that you know

Via Electroqueer comes this remix of a cover of George Michael's "I Want Your Sex."



I'm surprised by how much I like what American singer Chris Mann and remixers SECTR 24 have done here. The descending instrumental part during the title line, which reoccurs during the fantastic final minute or so, goes a long way to breathing life into their take on the song, while its lack hurts the original version of the cover. This remake, though, sets aside the minimalism of Chris's original cover and the funk of George's original, pursuing a sound that doesn't sound like a full-on dance remix but rather just a poppy electronic update. Not every part works in a radio-ready way (though that's probably not the intent anyway) and I imagine you're better off not thinking about it in comparison to the original too much, but for me, it's been perfect for those moments when you need to clear your mind--a headache-alleviating, smile-inducing, pep-in-your-step, air-conditioning-in-the-summer song, which is always a good thing.

You can buy Chris Mann's "I Want Your Sex (SECTR 24 Remix)" on iTunes internationally here, as well as several other versions of the song.

2 comments:

Myfizzypop said...

i quite like it. I was vaguely stalking Chris Mann on myspace about a year or so ago, mainly because he was an older sort of pretty and also because he had worked or had some connection with Tommy Page. I'm happy he's getting some recognition :)

Poster Girl said...

Something made me think you might know about him! I think I remember seeing something about Tommy Page--maybe some songs written with him or something, though it could be more than that.

Also, hurrah for vaguely stalking people online! The joys of the Internet ;)