Saturday, July 17, 2010

It's 2 AM, I can't decide what I'm doin'

I've had some questions about the other JC Chasez demo I alluded to in the comments of my "Don't Stop" post come in. I'm just going to copy and paste my response to one of them:

The other demo I've got is "La La Land." To be honest, the reason I've been dragging my feet about posting it is that it's more of an interesting little oddity than a song to stir up excitement--more mid-tempo stream-of-consciousness than a typically melodic song. I wouldn't be leaking it since it was posted elsewhere on the Internet in a legitimate way, but given that it seems it's not been widely heard, it does worry me that it might in some way disillusion people. It's just an outtake, but sometimes, when you hear so little new music from an act you love, you end up reading too much into the random tracks you do get to hear.

Still, I definitely know how it is to want to hear anything an artist has recorded, even if it's not single-quality material, so I'll try to post the song soon.

I should probably have clarified that by saying that I know hardcore fans have been through enough to usually understand the difference between an unused song and a song that an artist intends to use as part of a comeback--it's casual commenters who sometimes don't pay attention to the difference.

Anyway, with all that in mind, here's a the key part of this post that is less a "you must listen to this song!" post and more a "for the fans" post: "La La Land," which finds JC engaging in rambling verses about life in Los Angeles and casually "la la la"ing his way through the short chorus. You could make the argument that the casualness of the whole thing fits in with the the way he's parodying being caught up in the fame-loving LA scene, with hipster cred being equated to acting as if you don't care. The end result is still a song that feels more like an extended (arguably humorous) interlude, but, hey, you get to hear his voice.

La La Land by poppostergirl

"La La Land" is unreleased, but you can buy JC Chasez's debut solo album Schizophrenic here (physical) or here (digital).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO. Now I understand why you were so hesitant about posting it! Thanks for posting.

I have to say I like it. Despite how horrible it is.

Anonymous said...

OMG this song is hilarious. It's so bad it's good.

Thanks so much for posting :D

Poster Girl said...

See, you two come along, crack me up, and do my job for me: I should have just scrapped all this, written "Fan reviews include 'This song is hilarious. It's so bad it's good' and 'I have to say I like it. Despite how horrible it is,'" and called it a day!

You're welcome, of course, and thank you both for the comments.

Damian said...

To be honest JC in this song is better than the song itself but however it's a news about JC - 387th reason why I love your blog PG so let's raise our hands and will be singing hallelujah! :)

Poster Girl said...

Yup, there's no question he's better than this song! There were just some requests coming in about it, so it seemed appropriate to let people listen, even if it's nowhere near "Don't Stop" in quality. You really are too kind, Damian!

Anonymous said...

JC is just one far out there cat LOL I've always liked that about him though. It's nice to hear songs he's done lately - demos and songs here and there. Pity they'll never get released--and if they are-it's usually for someone else. Coming from a longtime fan I just listen to the songs as they come out and take them for what they are. The good, the bad and the "well now that was interesting." LOL It's a far cry from say "Giddy Up". At the end of the day, like you mentioned- we still get hear that wicked awesome voice :)

Dwayne said...

All these demos are 1 million times better than anything on his album. This guy is rolling in NSYNC money. If no one is willing to invest in him, why doesn't he do it himself?

Poster Girl said...

Anonymous, that's just the right attitude to have, for my money.

Dwayne, you even enjoy this song more than anything on his album? Anyway, now that you say it, it would be fantastic if he could take an approach like Darren Hayes to making and releasing new music, though I suppose Darren has more hope of a medium-sized hit in his native and adopted countries than JC does in his.