Friday, April 24, 2009

And every other time is just a memory

Last Friday, I woke up with the thought "I should really give Jessie James's 'Wanted' another try." Like Pixie and other acts, Jessie James is one of those mainstream label acts who's been buzzing around Internet land for ages, slowly building hype in advance of her proper lead single (though musically she's nothing like her). "Wanted," that lead single, didn't click with me in any long-term way, primarily because the hooks of the chorus felt too weak, but somehow something--probably the change in weather that set in on Thursday--woke a desire in me to listen to it again.



I was glad I did: the country-rock-influenced pop song performed by big-voiced Jessie (the vocal comparison you'll read everywhere is Christina Aguilera) suddenly made all the sense in the world. Though "Wanted" hints at mixing sultriness into its up-tempo stylings, really, as much as "firey" might be an appropriate adjective for it, it's just one of those "all-American girl in the summer," good time, flirt-empowering sort of songs, the kind of song that makes you want to put on blue jean shorts and a fitted plaid shirt and have a party in a field with waist-high grasses with your friends, while an uninterfered-with sun shines down on it all. That or go get your friend with the pickup truck to drive everyone down some open roads in the back of it. It's pop--more pop than it probably wants to admit--but not hugely poppy, the sort of thing that I'm not expecting to take off in pop blog circles but that I'd love to have the chance to sing along with in my car (even if the project in general has an aura of calculation around it).

Anyway, if I fell for the song last Friday, why did it take me week to post about it? The weather took one (hopefully final) spin towards dark, chilly, and windy this week. With clouds everywhere, jackets in full force, and umbrellas making frequent appearances, "Wanted" just didn't feel welcome. Luckily, right on cue, the gorgeous weather is back--with "Wanted" to help us celebrate. Now, where did I put those shorts...

Jessie James's debut single "Wanted" isn't yet available for purchase, but her song "Blue Jeans" is on the Confessions of a Shopaholic soundtrack, which you can buy here (physical).

Next up: maybe something British or maybe I'll try to play catch-up.

9 comments:

Ken said...

Arrgh. This is another artist I'm not paying attention to. I heard her track on the Confessions of A Shopaholic OST and I liked it. "Wanted" is a must try. Can't wait for it.

Robpop said...

I love her. She sounds, to me, like a poppier version of Dana Glover.

Scrap that.

Her voice is so similar to Christina Aguilera its freaky. Freaky!

I love her though.

Dana glover better get a move on though.

John said...

I also heard the Xtina similarity. Great voice, but the track just sounds a bit generic to me. Why can't every song just pop on the first listen?

Poster Girl said...

I didn't love her song on that, though that soundtrack was pretty decent!

Robpop, I didn't think of that comparison! That's exactly what I should have said. She's not quite that...special, probably, but it does give you an idea of the sound they've got going for her. What is Dana up to now?

John, one of the questions of the universe.

Aaron said...

The. Girl. Can. Sing.

I've not heard Wanted - but I was hooked on Blue Jeans (that breakdown is IMMENSE!) and I can't wait for the album!

Poster Girl said...

Aaron, try listening to it through the video. She really can sing--hopefully the album will have the hooks and writing to make it great.

Damian said...

On the one hand this girl has anything I should like pop-rock sound, loud vocal but something's missing, maybe the thing is that it's too much of Christina here but I'm interested in what this girl can offer then. Let's see...

Poster Girl said...

It's definitely a "let's see" case for me, too--I'm not confident at all that her album will have more songs I'll love on it, but I'll be kind of keeping an eye out to see if it does.

Anonymous said...

Wow this is AHMAZINGGGGG!!!!!!!! i love her and her music is great..way to go jessie!!!im looking forward to buy it on itunes may 12