Saturday, January 03, 2009

#80 Alesha, "The Boy Does Nothing"



And if the man can't dance, he gets no second chance

The gorgeous Alesha Dixon, formerly a member of Mis-Teeq and engaging here in her second attempt at a solo career, may have been attempting to take advantage of her Strictly Come Dancing victory with the theme of her lead single, but when the result is this fun, slightly cheeky Xenomania song, who cares? There’s been a lot of comparisons drawn between “The Boy Does Nothing” and Lou Bega’s "Mambo No. 5," and though I completely understand that I know that technically musically, that’s what it’s like, I can’t help thinking of Ricky Martin’s "Livin’ La Vida Loca." Unfortunately, "The Boy Does Nothing"—except for in that middle 8, that glorious classic Xenomania middle 8, but that not-the-majority-of-the-song middle 8—never fully lets loose like "Livin’ La Vida Loca does," so it’s not quite as good, but not quite as good as "Livin’ La Vida Loca" still makes for an excellent song.

Find it on: The Alesha Show

5 comments:

Myfizzypop said...

i feel this has been tragically underrated in song of the year type countdowns including my own (though it probably would've ranked somewhere between 25-30 and really how arbitrary are these positions anyway>?!) as it's definitely a fun song. Much like We R One, it's a freaking nightmare to bop along to at the pub. Tempo changes and the urge to jump in the air negate We R One while the need to be a world class dancer means i unfortunately sit this one out too (unless i'm drunk then tragically i act out the instructions of the chorus - does he wash up/ does he sweep up! Oh for shame)

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

I still think this has been a massively underrated song because it's got "worldwide hit" written all over it. Maybe it just came out at the wrong time of year: I like the comparison with "Livin' La Vida Loca" and maybe this could have been a massive summer hit too. I also like Xenomania's six-songs-in-one approach. Fab tune!!

Poster Girl said...

I know--SO arbitrary! It really does deserve more credit. Luckily I've never faced the dancing dilemma out here in the U.S. ;)

It does have worldwide hit written all over it! I hope it ends up being that, I really do.

Aaron said...

I have this album on Order! I can't wait for it to arrive!

Poster Girl said...

Aaron, I didn't love the album, but I hope you end up enjoying it.