Thursday, March 06, 2008

You're the last time I'll ever compromise

Despite loving "Over And Over," I've never really paid much attention to Asia-focused producer-and-singer project Sweetbox; with that one exception, none of the songs I've heard from them have really had the ability to stick with me. Somehow, though, I still ended up paying semi-attention when American-born Jade, Sweetbox's singer for the past seven years or so, decided to go solo and giving her first solo release, the mini-album Out Of The Box, a listen (I still really like the somewhat trashy uptempo/urban/dance "In The Hall Of The Mountain King"-sampling "Crush," released beforehand as a duet, even with its dubious lyrics), and was interested enough to listen to her first full solo album, Bittersweet Symphony, released just a few days ago.

If you're looking for something that screams "international hit" or "you must listen to me now!", you won't find it here, but if you're looking for pleasant cute pop not made with real instruments and with lots of manipulated vocal effects and sparkling producer-created sounds, you'll find several enjoyable songs on the album. I wouldn't urge anyone to rush to add Bittersweet Symphony to your must buy ASAP list, but there are a few tracks that may make your music listening just that little bit brighter, if you don't mind your pop very bubbly, very produced, and very cheesy...which I don't! (Also, I suspect it's not that different from typical Sweetbox material, which does make it odd that I'm listening to it after having bypassed their earlier work.)

The Last

You're not the last man left
Or the last of my disasters
You're not my last mistake
Or the first to make me cry

Lucky Lady (with verses that are proof positive that lyrics can't really mean that much to me; just give me some meaningful-sounding "eee-aaay-ohhh"s and I'm happy)

California wait for me
'Cause I swear I'm coming home

Eee-aaaay-ohhh
I'm a lucky lady
But I ain't lucky when I love

If you're not all sugar-rushed and cuted out by now, "We Can Run" and "Always Mine" from the album are in a similar vein, and there are a couple of other different-but-good tracks (if you like your music slightly less...pink, "Undone" and "Unbreakable (Moonlight Sonata)" might be more your style).

To buy Jade Valerie's album Bittersweet Symphony, go here (physical).

Next up: maybe that British singer.

No comments: