Wednesday, March 12, 2008

'Cause as long as you're with me, it's a winning streak

I'm not sure why, but I held off on getting too interested in any of this past year's Swedish Idol contestants at first--and for a while, in fact. I think runner-up Amanda Jenssen's '60's-inspired "Do You Love Me" is great now, but it was only after I'd been seemingly beaten over the head with it again and again that I finally caved in. I knew Marie Picasso's winner's single "This Moment" but didn't find it particularly compelling (it does have some interesting production or ideas but just ultimately failed to go anywhere for me), listened to clips of her album, read what other people thought about the album...but still resisted truly paying any attention to it.

I don't know if I can explain why I've had a reversal about Marie's second single "Winning Streak" then--maybe, like Amanda's single, I just had to hear it enough, or maybe I just had to be in the right mood. Whatever the reason, it's managed to capture me, making this the second day in a row that I'm posting some female-sung power ballad/adult contemporary pop type song--what's happening?

Winning Streak--stick it out past the first minute or so, which really serves as nothing more than a prelude or something that the rest of the song can then take off from (well, if it's going to build, it's got to start below where it's going to end up, right?)--it's at 1:06 where the song really begins to get going. It stays a power ballad of sorts, but it becomes much grander and with a beat underneath that keeps it from dragging and, along with the production, breathes life into the song. "Winning Streak" has a warm, encouraging, upbeat feel, and sometimes that's all you want.

To buy Marie Picasso's album The Secret, go here (physical).

Next up: maybe that older French song or a new-ish Swedish single. If I can manage to pull myself away from my new obsession.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like Marie Picasso quite a lot. 'Weak' and 'Out Of My Hands' are very good pop songs, the album needed more songs really though tbh.

Jaker said...

This is, unfortunately, one of those ballad-heavy CDs, which means you really do have to work your way through some of it. Weak and Winning Streak are both great songs, though, and I think This Moment is one of the better Inspirational Ballad Idol Singles.

I just want to see her break out and do some plus-sized booty shakin'. She could be the next coming of Shirley Clamp if she wanted to, and get all schlager on our asses, but it seems like someone told her 'no, you just sing ballads...'

As for Amanda Jenssen, I think Do You Love Me (aside from being a complete Natasha Bedingfield soundalike -- which is NOT a bad thing) is a great track... It's funky, and insanely catchy.

And it's just started playing, so I have to go bop around in my chair now...

Poster Girl said...

Anonymous, I haven't got the album yet...partly because of something you named! 10 songs just seemed so few--though I think it's been discounted a lot now and so I may pick it up. I do know I like "Weak" from her performance of it, though!

Is it? That's a shame...I do think "This Moment" is fine; I just don't love it or find myself returning to it too ofte ("A Little Too Perfect" by Aleksander With is still my Idol winner single of choice). More up-tempo songs is something I'm almost always wishing for, though, so I have a feeling I'll end up agreeing with your wish :D

I'm really interested to hear more music from Amanda now!

Jaker said...

If it's cheap, then get it. If nothing else, it's something to add to your monumental Swedish pop collection, right?

"'A Little Too Perfect' by Aleksander With is still my Idol winner single of choice"

Good choice. And, aside from Nikki Kerkhof's Hello World (featured on my own page), it seems like the only non-ballad first single. Yes, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

I myself have a personal soft spot for Right Here, Right Now, but I think that's cuz the video always gets me teary-eyed and at this point I just free-associate anytime I hear the song...

Myfizzypop said...

I quite like Marie - someone recommended i listen to her album (which i had but not listened to yet) on the plane to Oy! Vegas! so i did and found it perfectly lovely. Not amazing like Will YOung (who should be back soon - they played a v brief clip of his new song when he presented a Brit - youtube it!) or an instant classic like Michelle McManus Meaning of Love (:P !!!!!) but very nice

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

As you know, I'm not a ballad fan so I didn't even bother checking out Marie's album for that reason. At the time "Idol" was on, I understood why Marie was going to win the competition but now that it's all over, I think Amanda will be the real winner, if the fantastic "Do You Love Me" is anything to go by.

Jaker said...

And for anyone who hasn't seen it, go youtube Amanda Jenssen's version of Hallelujah that she did on Idol. Not the most polished vocal performance, but my god, did the girl serve it up.

Poster Girl said...

And, knowing me, that's probably why I like it, Jaker ;) I do really like "Right Here, Right Now" too, though! I'll have to look up this performance--I didn't follow the show, so I haven't seen it.

Ooo, really, re: Will? I will! I remember you saying something about it being old school disco or something like that at one point, which sounds very interesting.

I'm definitely interested to hear more from Amanda, even though she's put herself in a difficult position to follow up the success (and qualify) of her lead single! I'd love just a taste of what else she's doing.

Yuяi said...

I like Marie too. You are so right about that first minute, PPG. Filler and fluff! :P

Poster Girl said...

It is! ;)