Friday, February 08, 2008

You were Lou Marini, I picked Suzi Q

Here's a brief break from all the Melodifestivalen coverage, though we're not going that far away: only one country over, to Norway. Surely it's just about time for a new Briskeby album, at least some time this year? I do think I remember reading something about them being on a break, though, and even there being some buzz about a solo album from their lead singer, last year (if I was understanding it correctly), but I've not heard anything about that since (it could've easily just gone past me, though).

Anyway, the Norwegian group, fronted by Lise Karlsnes, does a fantastic job of channeling a certain '80's vibe, pretty much the one you'd expect when told they've got a frontwoman known for being stylish; I guess it's electro-washed pop music with guitars (also, I imagine if I knew very much Garbage, I'd compare them to them). They make positively lush music which should be eaten up by pop fans and music critics the world over--at the very least, I don't know how anyone couldn't love "Miss You Like Crazy" (note: do not watch video if you've got motion sickness!) the gorgeous end of summer song that was the lead single from their 2005 (and so far most recent) album, Jumping On Cars (I realize that opening verse might throw off some people, but honestly, keep going--it's one of the most...evocative songs I've ever heard--just listening to it is enough to get a whole mini-movie rolling in my head). I highly recommend their debut album, Jeans For Onassis--in fact, it's very much an album deserving of having a whole post dedicated to itself some day, if I can ever come up with something interesting to say about it.

Cellophane Eyes--effortlessly cool pop, distant and yet catchy--and beautiful--enough to win over even a sugar junkie like myself. "Cellophane Eyes" has this kind of spacey feel to it, with a throbbing electro pulse throughout that sometimes manages to peak out from underneath the synths, the processed guitars, the singing that's positively coated in charisma, and relationship-based lyrics that could very well be meaningless but manage to seem deep and intelligent--they've got the appearance of meaning, and really, given how much pop can be about bringing your own background to the songs you're listening to, sometimes, that appearance, or the ability to hold the weight of your own impositions of meaning, is enough. It's the kind of song you listen to when you just lay back, stare at the night sky, and think...or feel.

To buy Briskeby's debut album Jeans For Onassis, go here (physical).

Next up: oh, Melodifestivalen, of course!

No comments: