Thursday, December 20, 2007

Veidi veel aega minna on sellel teel

The first time I heard Koit Toome's entry in this year's Eurolaul, Estonia's national final for Eurovision, I liked it, but I would never have guessed it's one of the this year's Eurovision-related songs that still gets a decent number of plays from me. I don't know that much about him except for the fact that he represented Estonia at Eurovision in 1998 and that his performance at Eurolaul was more rocker-styled than the song itself would lead you to expect (look at the band setup, those flashing lights, that black leather jacket, the way he handles the microphone! It's actually a really sweet contrast). Sadly, the song took tenth place out of ten in the final of Eurolaul.



Veidi veel--a slightly boppy mid-tempo pop song that also has a sweet edge--well, "edge" is hardly the right word for this song; any edges are more smoothed out into rounded corners. That kind of works as an analogy--imagine if someone had made a kind of rock song and then taken away any sort of "edge" to it to make it a pop song through-and-through, but every now and then, whether it's in the instrumentation or what, you kind of get the sense of that former state peeking through. As is, though, it's thoroughly poppy, as well as catchy.

You can buy Koit Toome's latest album, Allikas, which has this song, here (physical).

Next up: maybe something Canadian.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read the title I thought he was from Finland...
I'll check the song and the video and then, I'll tell you what I think.

And thanks for adding me on your liks page.

Myfizzypop said...

although i don't follow eurovision or melodifestivalen as much as i should, its always been my opinion that the best songs never do as well as they should (especially in England). And now i am obsessed with the sound of this guys name although i am probably mispronouncing it...

D'luv said...

You inspired me to do my own slightly Eurovision-y post today!

Anonymous said...

Hey!
This is a pretty cool song. ^^
Oh, and I wonder: how do you get to know these singers?

Poster Girl said...

I'm glad you like it! :) He's one of the ones I know through Eurovision and the national finals for it--that helps a lot.

That's very true, Paul--there are a lot of gems to be found in the national finals, and in the lower ranks of the Eurovision results.

Off to check it out, J'ason!