Sunday, April 08, 2007

All I want is you near, I'm waiting for your call

As with the C-Stones post, the focus of today is another cheesy boy-girl (two boys, two girls) Europop-influenced group; however, that's probably about where the similarities end. Banaroo are German and, from what I've heard of them, their music generally has a much harder beat underneath it. As a general rule, I don't believe in being embarassed about the music you listen to, but it's groups like this one that push me closest to the edge. I mean, they've even covered the theme song to Kim Possible. They have songs with titles like "Ba Yonga Wamba," "Bling Bling Here Bling Bling There" (which uses the melody of "Jingle Bells"--seriously), and "Uh Mamma." And they've got some styling issues. Sigh. Still, I'm not bothered enough by it to stop listening to the songs by them I do like (in fairness, I only own a couple of their songs, so I'm not able to judge their output as a whole, but I am skeptical; they seem to get it right occasionally, though). The group, from what I understand, launched itself on the back of a TV show documenting their attempts to break into pop; I think the same show would go on to be what girl group Yoomiii used, too. They've released three albums so far.

Miss Your Kiss--I know Banaroo have worked with Dieter Bohlen at some point, and though I'm barely acquainted with him, I'm starting to think he's got some recognizable traits, even if only through indirect influence--another Banaroo song is called "Dubi Dam Dam," which, title-wise, is awful close to Millane Fernandez's "I Miss You (Dam Dubi Dam)" (it could just be coincidence related to easy-to-say sounds, though...I've never heard any Modern Talking stuff). Similarly, though I have no idea if he's actually worked on this song, it's got the same bells-in-the-background effect that Millane's song does and that I can't help wondering if it was "inspired" by "Pesenka"/"Around The World." Anyhow, this song is never going to be praised for class or sophistication, but I still enjoy it.

To buy Banaroo's third album, Amazing, go here (physical) or here (digital). Alternatively, it's also available on all the iTunes stores I've checked.

Next up: maybe that Jonatan Cerrada song, finally, but given my history, I wouldn't take my word for it.

2 comments:

D'luv said...

Uh Oh. You know, I downloaded that entire C-Stones album after your write-up last week. It's so good!

Poster Girl said...

Really? I'm so glad you like it! On the other hand, from what I know, I would not recommend getting a whole Banaroo album.