Thursday, December 13, 2007

Do you know what that's worth?

"Were you a fan of boy bands?"

"Totally!"

As if I wasn't sold on Blake Lewis as popstar enough already...now he's giving us lines like this.


You are probably wondering how much longer I'm going to be able to dedicate posts to him. I promise, their frequency will decrease eventually. He's still doing enough to inspire posts, though, so I'm going to keep writing them. I'll try not to make tomorrow's song-including post about something related to him, at the least.

On a slightly more serious but actually really interesting note, the second half of that interview has him explaining the inspiration for and creation of his version of "You Give Love A Bad Name;" he says he heard Orbital's live version of "Halcyon + On + On" that incorporates Belinda Carlisle's "Heaven Is a Place On Earth" and Bon Jovi's "You Give Love A Bad Name and that it really stuck with him--when it came to Bon Jovi week, he automatically knew which song he wanted to work with.

Thus, we get the choice of today's song: Orbital's "Halcyon + On + On (Live)," but not in the full eight-plus minute version--I thought that might be pushing it (it is maybe worth listening to just a little bit of the original though if you want to get a better feel for where this edit is coming from), but basically a version under about three minutes that skips the first six or so minutes of just "Halcyon + On + On" and instead picks up where the mashup starts. Even if you don't want to hear the last minute and a half or so of wordless vocals over an electronica backing (though the way "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" mixes with the twisted vocals from Opus III's "A Fine Day" is great), definitely take a listen to that first minute--putting "You Give Love A Bad Name" and "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" together works really well.

You can get the (full) live version of Orbital's "Halcyon + On + On" on the second disc of their album In Sides here (physical) or here (digital).

Next up: a Norwegian song, I think, that is kind of tangentially related to today's post though it sounds nothing like today's song.

4 comments:

Myfizzypop said...

Oh my christmas, i have missed so much. I am in awe! Blake! Christian's song going through (i think!) Danny in a boyband? And westlife! I have become tragically obsessed with westlife due to a tribute band who did 90% of their show as their upbeat songs which was really aces even though they didn't look anything like them! Anyway i missed your site :)

Poster Girl said...

Christian might not sing it, but yup, it's definitely in Norway's national final! And, though we had your posts to read, I missed you :) I NEED to hear more about this boy band--you've now teased that they've got some good-looking members and that they do those upbeat songs? Full report necessary! ;)

Adem With An E said...

Oh WOW, "Halcyon + On + On" has an incredibly special place in my heart, it's one of the dance tracks I sort of grew up with. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

Actually, have you ever heard Cosmic Baby's "Fantasia" from 1992? VERY much in that alley of euphoric and beautiful early trance. I'd actually recommend it if you like Halcyon...

(PS: Have you noticed it is also the final track playing just before the credits start rolling on Mean Girls?!)

Poster Girl said...

It really is! Totally gorgeous. I hadn't noticed that! I'll have to go dig out the movie again and look for that--not that I need an excuse to watch it ;)

I'm off to iTunes to look up that song--I haven't heard it!