Saturday, December 23, 2006

Party 'til the daylight

I went to see Night at the Museum yesterday and was really surprised at how much I liked it--I rarely laugh out loud at movies, especially not in theaters, but this one actually had that effect on me. The laughs slowed down at the end, but that's to be expected--the plot actually had to reach some sort of resolution. More importantly, the movie was good enough to distract me from constantly thinking "Gosh, if only I lived in the UK, I could hear McFly's music in this movie!" the whole time I was watching it, which is saying something. This really does have something to do with music--the song playing over the credits at the end caught my attention--it's cute, light, fluffy, and, if I'm being honest, completely disposable; I'm not making any claims that this is a song you'll be listening to a year from now, or even a week from now. It's by Keke Palmer, most famous for playing the title character in the movie Akeelah and the Bee, but she's launching a music career. She's also due to star in the jump rope-centered Disney Channel movie Jump In!, which I'm pretty sure is hoping a little of High School Musical's popularity will rub off on it--it's even co-starring Corbin Bleu.

Tonight--I couldn't help wondering if this song was fulfilling McFly's "Friday Night"'s role--both have lyrics that you can relate to the movie (though "Friday Night" does that to a greater extent) and "Tonight" played over the closing credits. Given some of the scenes that played during the credits, I'm not sure if that's the case, but I'm not really sure what it means when songs are the "theme song" for a movie (Matt Willis's "Hey Kid" and the Alex Ryder movie is another example)--does that have any actual significance? I guess it just means themed promotional music videos and maybe extra funding from the movie studio for the artist. As for the song itself, it's R&B-influenced cheesy pop that's pretty beat-oriented. There's also some rapping in it, but there's no way it can be for anything other than comedic purposes.

If you live in the U.S., you can buy Keke Palmer's "Tonight" digitally at the iTunes store here.

Next up: be prepared, because there's a very good chance two upcoming posts will be both rock and indie! Or maybe that remix.

3 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

Night at Museum is indeed that rare flick for kids that has just as many jokes adults will appreciate .. I found it to be almost as smart as it was simply hilarious

Paul said...

i'm off to see it on 26th, and remain mortified that you don't get mcfly as part of the bargain. Boo! what is wrong with us Brits America?! PS Very merry christmas veronica mars ;)

Poster Girl said...

I really agree! And it was so nice to see Robin Williams in something that I didn't feel embarrassed for him about--he's done so many.."not good" roles and movies, but I thought he did a good job here.

I hope you enjoy it, Paul! Merry Christmas to you too :)