Thursday, December 28, 2006

Keep your fire burning

Russian singer Dima Bilan took second in this year's Eurovision with the great song "Never Let You Go." Before "Never Let You Go" was decided upon as the Russian entry, though, there were rumors that Dima would be singing a song called "Lady Flame." Though luckily Russia decided to go with "Never Let You Go," I still like "Lady Flame," which was later released--it still would have been one of my favorite songs at Eurovision. Dima has released several albums in Russian, but done only a few songs in English; hopefully, we'll be hearing more from him in English in the future (sort of selfish, I know, but it's just more accessible for me that way; even in Russian, though, I think songs like "Eta Bila Lubov" and "Ya Tebya Pomnu" are good, and there's something about "Nochnoi Huligan" that I find really funny and fun).

Lady Flame--as a warning, do not watch the video for this unless you want to be conscious of how you walk for the next several days. At any rate, this song is catchy and fun enough that I'm willing to not think too deeply about how you could interpret the lyrics. It's got touches and flourishes that make it clear that this is not a Western pop song, but they enhance the music, which is already that of a good solid pop song. There are also a bunch of electronic sound effects. I guess it's mid-tempo, though you could probaby call it a ballad if you wanted, but it's got enough energy to it that that might be a little deceptive.

As always, I have absolutely no idea where you can go to buy Russian music, besides eBay, so instead I'll provide the link to Dima Bilan's official site.

Incidentally, according to VH1, the best song of the '80's was Bon Jovi's "Livin' On A Prayer," with Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me" coming second.

Next up: maybe a Finnish song.

4 comments:

Paul said...

well don't you just know all the continental hotties. What a cool song - now i have to look up the video, especially as for years i was concerned i walked too gay! Apparently i don't. Though i do have a bit of a swishy swagger from time to time! Eep!

ps - i have all new popstar hair!

PinkieDust said...

Im stalking you Paul!

Great song PPG!

Digital Technique said...

Another great song!! Never Let You Go is one of my favourite songs of 2006 and this is just as good!!! Thanx!!

Poster Girl said...

Aww, cool, I'm glad you all like it! It's just one part of the video, Paul, but it's the part that sticks in my mind. And Pinkie, there are far worse people out there to stalk than Paul ;) "Never Let You Go" is such a great song--I'm glad it did so well at Eurovision (though I would've loved to see it wink)!