Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I don't want to leave you with a shadow of a doubt

I hate the American Music Awards right now. I know "hate" is a strong word, but this is ridiculous. Some issues are just a matter of personal taste (Me: "Aww...I like Ne-Yo! And Chris Brown's OK. Just not Jamie Foxx." Announcer: "And the winner is...Jamie Foxx!"). Other times, though, the awards are completely incomprehensible. Do you know who was nominated for best male pop/rock singer?
1.) Nick Lachey. All right, though he might not be my favorite singer, he is pop. I will accept this.
2.) Sean Paul. What?!
3.) Kanye West. Kanye West! KANYE WEST. It's like someone was afraid that the skit with Diddy, where he pretends to be upset that he didn't win best female country singer in order to mock Kanye, might have actually have happened with Kanye if he didn't get a nomination. In what world is Kanye West pop, rock, or pop/rock?

In honor of the only nominee in the category who actually belonged in the category (Sean Paul won, if anyone's interested), here's a bonus track from Nick Lachey's second solo album, What's Left Of Me, only available (I think) on his album when purchased at Target.

Did I Ever Tell You--though I still haven't listened to all of Nick's album yet, this track has jumped out at me because, unlike many of the songs on the album, it's not a really slow ballad! I suppose you could make a case that it is a ballad, but it feels more mid-tempo to me, but more importantly, it's just a great song. Like yesterday's song, it's guitar strummy, though not quite to the same extent. I love how melodic it is, and how it's both pretty and uplifting; finally, Nick's not getting run over by the love bus, but revelling in how amazing it is to be in love and desperate to tell his partner how he feels.

To buy Nick Lachey's second album, What's Left Of Me, go here (physical) or here (digital; you'll have to search for "Nick Lachey" and, if nothing's changed, choose the third album labeled "What's Left Of Me").

Next up: the song by a singer popular in Thailand, and a strange cover of it.

4 comments:

Paul said...

i think you should have your own end of year award show. I'll dress up for it...

Poster Girl said...

If you'd dress up for it, it might almost be worth having ;) I have thought about trying to put together some end of the year lists, but it's such an intimidating prospect!

D'luv said...

Girlfriend (you, not Paul), I watched that AMA trash last year and swore never again. Last night, we were flipping through and I saw Lionel Richie warbling into the microphone while Keith Urban or some other junkie strummed a guitar, and I was like CCCCCC-ya! Thank god for Law & Order...

Poster Girl said...

That was the smart decision, J'ason! I can't say I'll be in a hurry to watch it again next year. All I could think while some of those performers were up there was "This could be amazing exposure for some of the great acts from the UK if one of the organizers was brave and smart enough to let them perform at this--if we could just replace one act..." (and Snow Patrol got to perform, so it's not as if it's limited to US performers). And so many of the nominees were just awful or didn't fit with their categories at all!