Thursday, October 26, 2006

I've been a-waiting just to find somebody true

Today will be a one song day, mainly because I don't know anything about this group/artist and because I'm not sure what other songs would best accompany it. What I do know is this: the song is by Jakaranda, which I'm guessing is a group, based on the single cover and multiple voices in the song. I think it was released as a single somewhere--possibly Japan, but maybe elsewhere, too. If you've heard it, though, it's probably from its appearance on the soundtrack to the 1998 remake of The Parent Trap (the movie that introduced Lindsay Lohan to the world).

Never Let You Go--right, so you could make a case that this song is basically just one big sample, since the chanting from the Dream Academy's "Life In A Northern Town" is used pretty heavily (or at least used in a rerecorded version). However, this song takes that sample and uses it to create a dance-poppy, female-led song in which that chanting, though important to the song's power and catchiness, isn't the only important element--the piano/keyboard part and the electronic elements, are all essential (and catchy), too. If it ever really was a single, its success would have been hindered from the start--in 1997, Dario G released "Sunchyme" (which I've only just now heard, through YouTube) which also sampled "Life In A Northern Town" and bears a lot of similarity to "Never Let You Go" (which must have been released not much later, if it was on a 1998 soundtrack). This song, though, actually adds lyrics, instead of just having the chanting, but is at least as cheesy and likely to fill you with--or at least inspire a tiny bit of--exuberance.

To buy the soundtrack for 1998 version of The Parent Trap, go here (physical).

Next up: someday I'll get around to that "Swedish singer," I promise (in the meantime, though, the number of Swedish singers I want to write about keeps growing!).

2 comments:

Paul said...

ooo, while i only like the song a little bit, you have made me want to go and watch the parent trap again and more importantly mean girls! That movie is so fetch! i look forward to you getting all swedish on our asses...

Poster Girl said...

Ooo, Mean Girls! That is a great movie (even if I did once have a roommate who openly admitted to modelling herself and her friends after the mean girls--I mean, who really says "It's OK, we made her, so we can be mean to her" [not about me, thank goodness!] outside of a movie?)--you may have given me an idea as to what to do on this miserably rainy day :)