Friday, July 09, 2010

I am no angel

A couple of fluffy pop-dance songs today that sound like they were made with the summer in mind:



I really should have written about Wynter Gordon's club-oriented "Dirty Talk" months ago, but with the weather as it is at the moment, now seems like a good time to finally fix that. Sure, the lyrics are ridiculous and eliminate any chance of it getting played on American radio--Britney can't even say "sin" here without it being censored--but the Jamaica-by-way-of-Ibiza production is positively intoxicating. It definitely makes me eager to hear more from Jupiter Ace as a producer. Even if I was never as excited about "Surveillance" as many other pop fans, Wynter seems to be a pretty good songwriter (we all agree the song she co-wrote for Jennifer Lopez, "Everybody's Girl," sounds like it's by far the best thing Jennifer's done recently, right?), so I'm looking forward to hearing more from her, too.

Scratch by poppostergirl

I'm not totally certain how much I like frequently-renamed American girl group BG5's new single "Scratch" yet. It's fun, but I have this lingering fear we'll be moving on without looking back before much time has passed. "Scratch" is another Antonina Armato and Tim James (a.k.a. Rock Mafia) song, meaning it comes from the people behind Miley Cyrus's "See You Again," Selena Gomez & the Scene's "Naturally," and Aly & AJ's "Potential Break Up Song," as well as the title track and several others on the latest Miley album (Antonina is also the person behind the group). "Scratch" isn't up there with "See You Again" and "Naturally"--the second half of the chorus isn't as strong--but the bouncy production makes it a good entry into the modern teen-pop world.

Wynter Gordon's single "Dirty Talk" is available on U.S. iTunes here. BG5's single "Scratch" isn't for sale yet, but you can buy an earlier EP by them on U.S. iTunes here.

4 comments:

Myfizzypop said...

Wynter seems to be one of those people who seems to have been the next big thing for ages! How was Surveillance not a massive smash?!

Damian said...

"If I scratch your back you need to scratch mine", well, the lyrics is really weird but it can catch attention :) New proper pop girls-band are always welcome in my world :)

Poster Girl said...

"Surveillance" was never really my thing, but it was very "now" when it appeared. Maybe she'd be better off focusing on Europe.

Yeah, I'll always be interested in new pop girl groups! It seems like a lot of them have been finding it difficult to make it recently, though, so I hope one comes along with the material to establish itself.

Asia said...

It sounds like Wynter is getting ready to really step it up! I can't wait for the music video to come out for Dirty Talk.