Saturday, January 17, 2009

#35 Sam Sparro, "Black & Gold"



'Cause if you're not really here
Then the stars don't even matter

If I was the betting type, I really would have put money on this being much higher up on this list near the beginning of the year. For the first month of 2008, Sam was the up-and-coming act I was most excited about. "Black & Gold" isn't a song I think of as having lost any of its dark electro sparkle over the months--even finding out that it's about God has only increased my interest in it--so I don't think I can pin down why it isn't higher; instead, I'll just say again how much numbers are meaningless at this point and that #35 really is a reflection of absolutely loving a song, a song that seemed like it could be marking the birth of a brilliant new popstar when it first came out. I'm hoping he'll get a chance at a second album to live up to that potential.

Find it on: Sam Sparro

4 comments:

Aaron said...

Song = Great. Album = Not So Much....

Album No. 2 = He better make it good.

Poster Girl said...

Aaron, I'm hoping he does--and hoping he gets the chance!

John said...

I actually really enjoyed the vast majority of his CD. This one was a slow-builder for me, but I grew to love it. All the cool kids like it, too...Sara Bareilles sang a bit of it at her show, and it played on the PA system before the Fray show. Now if only the rest of the US would come along for the ride.

Poster Girl said...

Did she really? That just makes her even greater!