Saturday, January 17, 2009

#31 Lady GaGa feat. Colby O'Donis & Akon, "Just Dance"



Where are my keys
I lost my phone


My position on Lady GaGa stands at what it was this summer--underwhelming album (compared to what I expect from a popular international artist) and still not totally sold on her as a popstar--but "Just Dance" remains just as great as it was the first time it debuted on the world out of nowhere. I don't believe "Just Dance" was nearly as guaranteed a U.S. hit as its success around the globe might imply--without the massive backing from her label, it could have sunk as easily as many a great quirky pop track did here when labels weren't willing to provide similar support levels--but I'd be crazy if I thought this was anything other than a fantastic exciting song, one that is more than welcome on my American radio any day and as much as DJs want to play it. The introduction and incarnation of Swedish producer RedOne's latest sound (though certainly not his first great song), "Just Dance" suffers just a bit for me because I've never been a fan of the Lady GaGa performed middle 8--I can see its use as a moment for spazzy dancing, but the melody gets so lost there that it always takes me out of the song. Still, save for that one section, it's nonstop fun, the sort of song perfect for the very actions its lyrics describe.

Find it on: Lady GaGa

8 comments:

Aaron said...

Yes - I'm with you. Album was good but not great - and the song was really a sink or swim track - I'm just surprised they haven't released LoveGame yet!

Nikki said...

I loved this the minute I heard it, and I first did a bit late but it was kind of like the Ting Tings', a bit of the annoyingly awesomeness(but still not annoyingly awesome as 'That's Not My Name'..) being channeled. I quite liked the album though, but I got a bit sick of it after a week and didn't listen to it at all for maybe four months.

haha.

Keira said...

I only just heard this over Christmas but have liked it a lot ever since. I'm guessing its being geared up for a Finnish release as the youtube vid 'is not available in my country'

But I agree, that bit in the middle spoils it for me a bit - what is the point of it?

Poster Girl said...

Aaron, you'll get to hear just a bit of my thoughts on "Love Game" a little down the road!

I think maybe the album was a case of expectation (mis)management for me. I have a post sitting in draft, I think, trying to explain it, but basically if this had been some random singer from some random country releasing it, I would have just taken the brilliant tracks for what they are, enjoyed some of the other tracks in a disposable kind of way, and not really thought further about it (kind of like I did with, say, Ola's latest album), but since she's this internationally releasing American popstar with big hits and lots of fame throughout the world and Internet land, what makes for an album that lives up to what I want from it kind of changes...which shouldn't be the case, but it is.

Keira, I'm glad someone agrees with me about that part in the middle! I'm surprised Finland's later on the release schedule than the U.S., but hopefully it'll do well there.

Myfizzypop said...

am i mentally unbalanced that i still shudder when this comes on the radio?! I mean i feel like i SHOULD like it but really don't :(

Poster Girl said...

Paul, what happened? You used to like Lady GaGa--thought her album was decent, good, though not great; I remember thinking it even seemed like you were more positive on the album than I was. Now it seems like you can't stand her music/her.

Myfizzypop said...

i'm not sure what happened. I think i have this natural reaction against hype - i try to fight it but ultimately my mind shuts off to that person saying "oh it's worse than you thought and now the whole world loves it"! I think i have mental problems :P Plus i am not happy seeing her flash her foofoo all over London!

Poster Girl said...

Oh, Paul, I can completely understand that. Plus I think I'm only beginning to understand just how much paparazzi coverage she's gotten in the UK recently!