Sunday, March 02, 2008

Steppin' out

Music messageboards working exactly as they're supposed to: discussion on PopJustice led to me finding out about this song. I know absolutely nothing about Asian music, so all I can say is that the singer's name is Namie Amuro, this is her new single "What A Feeling," and, in between listening to Melodifestivalen-related songs, I've been letting this video play over and over again in the background to listen to the song.



The first thirty seconds or so don't sound too fantastic, but as soon as you realize what they're doing and that sample hits, when we get to the chorus, I was totally sold. '80's pop, modern pop, dance, electro, rave--whatever's been put together to make this song, the result is great.

5 comments:

Jump! said...

Namie Amuro is from Okinawa Japan. She started singing in her early teens in a group called super monkeys when top Japanese producer Tetsuya Komuro turned her into a mega solo star at the age of 18. She defined the style for millions of girls in the late 90s with her "Amura" look and She holds the record for biggest selling solo female single with her number 1 smash "Can you celebrate?". "What a feeling" is off her 33rd(!) single release "60s70s80s". And thats your crash course in Namie Amuro.

Anonymous said...

Lovin' this song! :) I definitely need to try and track down some more of her material!

Poster Girl said...

Oh, wow, Jump! Thank you so much! I feel like I've got a little more context now. And wow, 33rd...

I'm thinking about it too, DT! And I'm glad someone else has been loving this like me :D I'm still addicted to it.

Adrian said...

I was going to say that's she's Japanese and pretty massive there, but Jump! got there before me.

Another good song by her it's Girl Talk.

Poster Girl said...

Thanks Adrian! I'll go look that one up.