Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I hear about other relationships, that ain't true--I wanna set it right, oh baby

Though I've only just finished up my 2007 countdown, less than one month into the year there are already three songs I can easily see contending for the title of my favorite single of 2008--I don't exactly need another one! Presuming it's made a single, though, The-Dream and Rihanna's "Livin' A Lie" will be in the race as well--and it's a problem I'll be more than happy to face, because surely it has to be a single. It's got radio hit written all over it and is worlds better than Rihanna's previous duet single, "Hate How Much I Love You," with Ne-Yo. I know I've written about it before, but I really want to call attention to this song--I adore it; as I said the first time I wrote about it, I truly don't think I could ever get tired of hearing it on the radio. All finger snaps and synth pulses, the song, a back-and-forth half-ballad about hidden love, is taken from "Umbrella" and "Bed" co-writer The-Dream's own debut album and doesn't sound exactly like anything on radio right now while also being a totally logical, if refreshing, extension of current hits--kind of like "The Way I Are" was, where the style of the man behind it is definitely recognizable but there's been somewhat of a different approach taken with the song. I'm completely enchanted with it. There are so many things to love about "Livin' A Lie": that gentle synth fadeout at the end, the joint chants of "inside, side, side," the creation of that beat, just the general feel of the song--it is (to use this word again) lush.

Livin' A Lie

To buy The-Dream's album Love/Hate, go here (physical) or here (digital). It's also available on iTunes.

Next up: that South African singer.

No comments: