Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I know it instinctively

Certain news came out recently, and this post is to go along with it. Billie Piper, from the UK, is now known for her acting career, but her fame originally came from her career as a pop singer, releasing two albums back in 1999 and 2000, a fact which she and the world were reminded of this year when radio DJ Chris Moyles launched a campaign to get her single "Honey to the Bee" back in the charts which would ostensibly prove the silliness or room for potential manipulation of new chart rules that would give downloaded songs an opportunity to enter the charts...or something. Whatever his actual ridiculous reason for the campaign was, it at least had the nice side benefit of allowing an artist with some good songs back in the charts, even if Billie herself would prefer not to think about her pop career.

She Wants You--one of the singles from Billie's first album. It does sound very much of its era, but it's still catchy and still good enough to be worth playing now. The song is mid-tempo but very suitable for dancing--well, at least for the choreographed group dance routines of the time. I think I remember reading that it was released in the U.S. or was supposed to be at some point as well?

To buy Billie Piper's debut album Honey To The B, go here (physical) or here (digital).

Next up: I went through a period of time where I was convinced Billie Piper was the best person on planet Earth ever, so we'll definitely have to go into the fantasticness that is her second album at some point, but I'm thinking a Swedish singer next.

8 comments:

Myfizzypop said...

I didn't really like Billie's first album (except Honey To The Bee was an effing masterpiece) but her second album scored a big wowsa from me. I won't go into my enthusiasm too much here if you are going to write more about it, but based on the first two singles alone, people should check it out. And i still prefer Billie's Tide Is High to Atomic Kitten...

Alexander said...

Aww, I love Billie. "She Wants You" is a great choice, it was released as a double A-side in Sweden together with "Last Christmas". :D

D'luv said...

The editor in me wants to point out that you put the year 200 instead of 2000 :P

Billie's returning to Dr. Who, no?

Poster Girl said...

Yeah, the album had a great first two singles! It really was a fantastic progression from the first album.

Ooo, good songs both!

Thank you Mr. Editor ;) Fixed! And yes she is! I know some people are upset because it'll take away from the power of the ending of the second series, but me being me, anything that gives us a chance at a happier ending is a-OK with me (watch the situation end up even worse then). And I love the character of Rose (love Martha as well, though)!

Mike said...

Billie is one horse that needs to be taken straight to the glue factory!

Anonymous said...

aaah Billie - the youngest female vocalist to have a number one, if i'm not mistaken...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Aj_rVWb20

Poster Girl said...

If loving Billie is wrong, I don't want to be right ;) Of course, this is coming from the girl who once in all seriousness put Gareth Gates's second album on a list of the top 10 albums of all time, so I think my music taste is dubious to say the least!

Yeah, I think that sounds right! I guess that's why she's actually younger than I always think she is/expect her to be.

Jump! said...

The disco mix of "She wants you" by Ian Levine was really a fine mix. The less said about Billie's second UK #1 "girlfriend" the better.