Saturday, May 26, 2007

Comme une 1er rendez-vous une dernière danse

I've never quite understood the appeal of Matt/M. Pokora--maybe I just haven't heard the right song yet?--but I will admit to having some fondness for some of the songs of French (Moroccan-born) singer Amine. His style of music is called Raï'n'B, as it combines R&B and Raï, a type of music that I'm not going to pretend I know anything about other than that it's popular in countries like Algeria and Morocco. The Goggles Do Nothing (currently featuring an upbeat disco song by this year's Eurovision winner!) posted his duet with Leslie a while ago, which is how I was introduced to him, and it's one of his songs I recommend checking out in addition to this one.

J'voulais--besides "Sobri 2," his duet with Leslie, this is Amine's biggest hit. For all the talk about Raï'n'B, the singer who I find myself thinking of most often when I listen to his music is Michael Jackson (though keep in mind my Michael Jackson knowledge is woefully limited, so it may be more a matter of what I think he sounds like than what he actually sounds like). This song might not be the best to pick up those traits, nor does it probably do the best job of showing the "Raï" influence in his music--if anything, it sounds influenced by disco...or at least what I think disco sounds like. Maybe it does sound like Michael Jackson. What I do know for sure, though, is that I like it a lot.

To buy Amine's debut album, Au Dela Des Rêves, go here (physical) or here (digital).

Next up: maybe Mandoza and Danny K.

No comments: