Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Watch our cares float away

Gareth Gates's new single "Changes" is out this week. To be honest, I still don't understand it as the choice of lead single, as he seems to have recorded more instant songs and songs more likely to get radio play, but chosen it was, and I have this fear--hopefully irrational and completely unlikely--of the single not doing too well and the album release getting cancelled. As I said, hopefully that's not likely, but still, it wouldn't feel right for me to let the week pass without reminding people that the single is now out. I faced a little bit of a dilemma in choosing what to post today; I suspect many people with any interest in either of his albums already own them (though that won't stop me from writing about some of the songs from them at some point in the future) and I've posted his demos and most of my favorite b-sides already. The result? I'm posting a song that I do have some reservations about--mainly in regards to its length, as I know not everyone is up for eight minute long remixes--but I do undeniably enjoy.

Sunshine (Bimbo Jones Club Mix)--I am far from a remix expert, but I always associate Bimbo Jones with this sort of steel drum-esque sound. If I listened to enough of his work, that might get annoying, but for a song like "Sunshine," which is just as bright as the title implies, it's a good match. It's no dancefloor stormer, but it is still danceable, though you could relax to it just as easily, sitting on a beachside lounge chair and sipping a drink.

To buy CD1 (not the one with the cover pictured here) of Gareth Gates's single "Sunshine," which has the Bimbo Jones Club Mix as a b-side, go here (physical). More importantly, you can buy his new single "Changes" here (physical) or here (digital).

Next up: probably music from Mexico, maybe France.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still have reservations about this choice too. Gareth call's it a 'bridging single'. Radio 2 picked up on a much more immediate track from the album, Angel on My Shoulder and played it for a couple of weeks. It is lovely.
There are some cracking acoustic versions of Changes floating around on Youtube, taken from various radio interviews. You can also download the album version of Changes from itunes. Its better than the edited down single IMO. More lyrics and flows better. I am keeping everything crossed for this single to do ok - but am not expecting great success.

londonboy79 said...

I am in mourning for the loss of Gareth Gates' original hair spikes!

Anonymous said...

Remixes rock!!!!

(and I'm no expert either but at least we try!)

As Gareth, top 30 maybe. He has done loads of telly promotional appearances in the UK recently but the strong is just too weak.

Unknown said...

There are definitely more commercial/catchy songs on Gareth's new album, so I am worried about how well Changes will do for him, but because so many DJs have said they prefer other songs from the album, I am sure they will just move onto the next single having learnt to pay more attention to feedback when picking singles!

Anonymous said...

I meant 'song' not 'strong'!

Damned thing...

Paul said...

listening to Sunshine again today makes me mourn the quality of that song (and indeed the more generic but equally lovely follow up). Now i DO like Changes well enough, but it's not a massive tune and really that is what Gareth needed at this point - because i'm not sure [people will stick around enough to hear a "better" second single... :( PS - i think he is way hotter without spikes

Adem With An E said...

He is looking quite handsome without the spikes - I agree Paul. In fact, this is the first time I've really found him attractive at all...

D'luv said...

PPG, do you know the midweek chart position for "Changes"?

Poster Girl said...

I thought the whole "Angel on my Shoulder" thing was interesting--that it got playlisted and played more than "Changes." I don't have high expectations, but I just hope it's enough that he gets to release something else.

Re: spikes. I think principle means I am in mourning with Londonboy, but if people think he looks better now, that's definitely a good thing! :)

Slippydisco, that's one thing no one can blame if the song doesn't do well--he's done loads of promotion. And yay for remixes :) Trust me, you know a lot more than me!

J'ason, I don't, but I can't imagine it's that great, given that his download chart position last week was 163 or something like that, I think. I'm hoping it's just a matter of most people who would buy the song are getting actual real copies, but (eep) I'd be happy just to see it make it into the top 40. Do you know?

Anonymous said...

Its number 14 at the moment, but there are download figures missing, so I guess it will drop. Apparently it would be number 2 if the chart was still physical sales only. I am hoping it can hang on in the top 20. That way, I am sure he will be able to relase single number 2 - and then the album (please!)

Poster Girl said...

Really? That's great! Top 20 would be more (by a lot) than enough for me! Oh, what good news...thank you!