Monday, December 18, 2006

It's human nature, girl, and it's how we turn the world

Mention American singer Josh Kelley and you're almost inevitably going to get comparisons to John Mayer. I cringe at that, but, for all I know, maybe that's accurate; I've never actually listened to a whole John Mayer album. Maybe it's because he doesn't have John Mayer's voice, or hasn't had a series of inescapable but annoying singles (I can't stand that wonderland song or "Daughters," sorry! I understand that people like them, but they're just not my thing), or maybe it's because some--though not all--of his songs pop more for me, but I have much more of a tolerance for Josh Kelley's work (thought more on a singles or individual songs basis than a full album basis). I only have one of his albums, Almost Honest, but he's released one before it and one after it. He got the chance to release his debut major label album after uploading songs he'd recorded onto Napster (back in the days when it was illegal) and saying that it sounded like the music of more popular artists.

Only You--if I'm being honest, any fondness I have for Josh probably comes mainly from this song and its spillover effects. To me, this song sounds more like Maroon 5 than John Mayer. "Don't go act all sweetness" is a bit of an odd line, but in general, this is a good song with a bit of funk to it. It doesn't have the "ooo"'s or "doo doo doo"'s that McFly have perfected, but it does have "oh-oh-ah-ah-aa-ah-ah"'s. Josh wrote this song with the Matrix, the production team who also gave us Jason Mraz's "The Remedy (I Won't Worry)," Liz Phair's "Why Can't I," Avril Lavigne's "Sk8er Boi," and both Busted albums.

To buy Josh Kelley's second major label album, Almost Honest, go here (physical).

Next up: really poppy songs have been in short supply on this blog lately, so hopefully tomorrow will start a couple of posts to change that.

2 comments:

Paul said...

ooo i remember asking a friend once if i would like Josh Kelly (when i was shallow and judged popstars by their looks as well as their music)* and he shrugged and looked at me like i had just smoked crack. And now i know i do! Like Josh Kelly, not smoke crack. Obviously i gave that up days ago... ;)

So thanks for solving a year long mystery for me. Are you and veronica mars ever in the same room at the same time

*of course i still do this!

Poster Girl said...

Do you know, I don't think we ever have been in the same room at the same time...hmm! ;)

Josh also has a nice little song called "Amazing" that was a single from his first album...I'll admit it is more John Mayer-esque, but it's still pretty good.