Monday, November 20, 2006

I just can't wait for that one week in summer

(Picture credit to Matt Willis Zone; thanks!)

Matt Willis's debut solo album, Don't Let It Go To Waste (and I'm going to resist the urge to turn my plea for people to buy it into a pun based on the title), is out this week, and I really want it to do well. Though I won't be able to give my thoughts on it until next week (it's shipping to somewhere I'm not actually at yet), I have a lot of faith in its quality; though I was a bit worried a month ago, the clips I've heard have assuaged my fears to a large degree--it should be a good album of rocky or guitar-based pop. Though I hear Matt hasn't provided the most fascinating of television on I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here!, I still hope he does well on the show, and that it manages to help his album sales. As encouragement to go out and buy his album, here's a B-side from "Hey Kid;" it's not as good as the single "Up All Night" or the B-side "Rock Ya," but it is good nevertheless and does show Matt doing a different style.

Me And Your Mother--it's been a little while since we've had some guitar strummy goodness on this blog, and this song brings that back in full force. It's not a rock out song like "Up All Night," with Matt instead giving a more subdued performance. Contrary to what you might expect given Busted's songs about exploits with older women, this is actually a song sung from the perspective of a divorced man singing to his child. Despite that, it's not a ballad.

To buy the single for "Hey Kid," go here (physical) or here (digital). More importantly, though, please consider buying Matt's new album, Don't Let It Go To Waste, here (physical) or here (digital); "Me And Your Mother" is, in addition to being a B-side, at the end of the album.

Some other albums out this November to consider buying (not an all-inclusive list):
  • McFly--Motion In The Ocean (already out; buy here [physical] or here [digital]) (their best album yet, combining the pop of their first with the maturity of their second to create what will be a classic)
  • Darin--Break The News (out in a few days; pre-order here) (given the quality of his first and second albums, this should be pop perfection, possibly with a bit of RnB influence, but no more so than a boy band might have)
  • Anthony Callea--A New Chapter (out this coming weekend; pre-order here) (amidst some probably-quite-pretty-if-you-like-that-sort-of-thing ballads should be some catchy, almost pop-rock numbers)
  • The Attic--The One (already out; buy here) (dancey, electronic pop...probably more on this once my copy arrives)
Next up: maybe a singer popular in Thailand.

4 comments:

Paul said...

you may be quite surprised by blog on tues all about Matt - celebrity has changed my opinion of him somewhat and i'll leave it at that for today. Suffice to say i only write about acts i like on my blog...

ooo what good albums coming out. I had better get ordering!

Poster Girl said...

Ooo--I am intrigued! And now I'm going to be in suspense for the rest of the day...

This has been a very expensive month for me. More U.S. artists need to release good albums, so at the very least I'm not paying so much for shipping.

Paul said...

i have done Matt Willis (not literally of course) and can now reveal that his album (up there with mcfly) is one of the genuinely good pop-rock albums of the year. Who knew?! well you did obv, but you get my point...

Poster Girl said...

I hoped :) It's such a relief to hear that! Plus, it's so great to hear that, even if he's not the main focus of attention, he's coming off well on I'm A Celebrity.